Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Embrace 'Me'...How to Find Your Personal Design Style!



"How do I start when I don't even know what I
like?"
If I had a dime for every client that asked me that question, I'd be blogging from my new lap top by now!

I feel what these clients are really asking is for me to define their personal style. Unable to see a completed project in their mind, my phone rings.....

Everyone of us has a style. If you put clothes on everyday and take a good look in your mirror you'll see it.
Take notice of the lines that you are drawn to for comfort as well as appeal, check out the colors that you tend to wear more frequently. Even if you are wearing black seven days a week, its a style, it says something about you and how it makes you feel.

Now let us talk about what design project you are starting first.
Lets pretend that you are about to move into the penthouse of your dreams and are able to paint and decorate however you like with an unlimited budget?

"Yes, this should be fun for us both, but you're scared, I'm not, and this is how it always begins."

Y
ou brought me in on your project to help find your direction and personal style. You're afraid I'll roll my eyes in judgement of your taste, simply not the case people.
Remember that I am there (in this scenario) to help you find you, the real you, there is only one you, and you need to get past that fear of someone disliking your style. Once you realize this, you will be able to enjoy expressing your personal designs as well as living amongst them.

So, client, my first recommendation would be to have you show me some of your favorite clothing, art or textiles, something you really enjoy. We would discuss what it is about them that you like. Is it their colors (or lack of) their shapes or textures?
This all gets jotted down as we further our discussion comparing similarities there may be amongst these items.

Another task I assign my clients to start before we have our meeting is to go through magazines, catalogs, (whatever you can tear up) and put them in a folder. Whether it's the colors of a photographed sunset or the fur of a cheetah, we need to start somewhere.

All of the above, will start to define your personal style. Next, we choose which colors and furniture styles you'll find comfort in and build from there.
Before you know it, your selections will begin to make sense to you. You will start to see the real you on paper, right before your eyes.

After you have a firm grasp on finally being able to identify your personal style, the rest is pure fun!
The fear that you used to have when it came to design will disappear! No more wandering endlessly through furniture stores only to walk out empty handed, or worse, have furniture delivered that you never make a real connection with.

Gone are the days that you used to spend at the paint store with a million color samples in hand only to end up painting everything white!
You are armed, ready and confident in your new design abilities.

Your penthouse is now complete.
Every room that you enter feels like a warm hug.
Before you know it your friends are asking for your design opinion.
Now you my friend, are... stylin'!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy, I'm assuming this is your gorgeous kitchen, if so wow! My husband and I are going to be getting granite soon after holidays. How will it work, if you are there in the Carolinas and we are here in Syracuse, and we want your wonderful suggestions? I love your blogs and I love Miss Addie's room too!! You're a busy lady....Thanks, Terri Lindemann

    ReplyDelete